Are you interested in more healthy and natural ways of helping your little munchkin through all the joys of just being babies and children? Essential oils could be your answer!
Essential oils are substance created inside aromatic plants and their parts such as seeds, bark, leaves, stems, roost, flowers, fruit, etc. They are both volatile, which means they evaporate, and oil soluble, which means they can easily mix with oils and fats. They provide a huge range of healing properties and promote emotional, spiritual, and physical health.
A few things to know before you decide which essential oils to use:
*When using an oil for topical treatment, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS dilute the essential oils with some kind of carrier oil such as coconut oil, olive oil, sweet almond oil, etc. Make sure that the oil that you use is PURE THERAPEUTIC GRADE. Not all essential oils are pure and can be dangerous if applied to the skin.
*Before using the oils as a topical treatment to help with an issue, test it out on a SMALL area to make sure there is no bad reactions before using it on a larger area.
*You only need 1 or 2 drops of the essential oil you choose. Essential oils are so potent, just a couple drops will do wonders, and anything more than that can cause irritation.
*NEVER use eucalyptus or wintergreen essential oils on any child under 2 years old. They can be deadly.
You can use essential oils topically, or diffuse them with a diffuser or humidifier. And always dilute the oils with a carrier oil.
Here is a list of common baby and children issues and some essential oils that can be used to help them:
1. Colds – Melaleuca, Lavender, or Lemon. Diffuse 2 drops of whichever oil you choose or you can dilute 1 drop with a tablespoon of a carrier oil and rub it on their chest or neck.
2. Crying – Lavender, Roman Chamomile, Frankincense, Geranium. Put a drop on your hand or on a cotton ball and let them smell it or put in a diffuser.
3. Constipation – Ginger, Orange, Rosemary, Lavender, or Chamomile. Add one drop of the oil you choose to a tablespoon of a carrier oil and massage their belly.
4. Diarrhea/Belly Ache – Add one drop of Wild Orange and one drop of Chamomile or DigestZen to 2 tablespoons of a carrier oil and massage belly and/or feet.
5. Irritated/Dry Skin – Melaleuca, Lavender, Roman Chamomile, Rosewood, Sandalwood. Dilute 1 or 2 drops of the oil you choose with 2 tablespoons of a carrier oil and rub into effected area.
6. Earache – Melaleuca, Lavender, Roman Chamomile, Thyme, Basil. Apply diluted oil to outside of ear.
7. Fever – Add 1 drop of Lavender to a carrier oil and massage a small amount onto back of neck, behind the ears, and bottoms of feet. Diffuse Peppermint.
8 Diaper Rash – Add 1 drop of Roman Chamomile and 1 drop of Lavender to a carrier oil and rub on effected effected area.
9. Colic – Ginger, Marjorma, Roman Chamomile, Rosemary, or Ylang Ylang. Add 2 tablespoons of carrier oil to 1 drop of three of those oils and rub onto back and stomach.
10. Teething – Massage diluted Lavender to bottom of feet and jawline.
If you have any other suggestions or you tried using any of these remedies on your own children, let us know how it worked for you by commenting below.
Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. I am not a physician, midwife, or any other type of health care professional. These recommendations are based on my own research and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease.
For more information check out these links I used as resources: